Howden Poor Law Union was declared 10th January 1837. The Workhouse was erected 1839 in Howden from designs by John and William Atkinson, architects, and could accommodate 200 inmates.
Howden is the centre of an union under the new Poor Law. The workhouse is a handsome & substantial building, in the Elizabethan style of architecture, situated at the western extremity of the town.
Source: Slater Directory 1864 - p209
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The Howden Union consisted of Asselby, Aughton, Barkholme, Barmby on the Marsh, Belby, Bellasize, Blacktoft, Brackenholme with Woodhall, Breighton and Gunby, Broomfleet, Bubwith, North Cave with Everthorpe and Drewton, Cheapsides. Cotness, Eastrington, Ellerton Priory, Faxfleet, Foggathorpe, Gilberdike, Gribthorpe, Harlthorpe, Hemingbrough, Holme upon Spalding Moor, Hotham, Howden, Kilpin, Knedlington, Laxton, Laytham, Menthorpe cum Bowthorpe, Metham, Portington and Cavil, Saltmarshe, Scalby, Skelton, Spaldington, Thorpe, Willitoft, Wressell and Yokefleet.
The workhouse is a structure of brick, and will hold 200 inmates;
Francis ORD, master;
Mrs Margaret H. ORD, matron;
Hugh William CRAWFORD, M.B., Ch.B. Glas., medical officer.
Howden Union contained 41 places, and had a population in 1901 of 12, 274.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
NB: There are further details in an extract from the 1892 Bulmer's Directory on the GENUKI pages :
Plus, a picture and short description of the previous workhouse in the centre of town on the following web page:
"Howden, an East Riding market town" by Susan Butler and Ken Powls - ISBN 09515498 2 0.
There is a chapter on "The Poor" and also a photo of the workhouse in the book.
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret