Patrington Poor Law Union was declared 31st August 1836 and included the parishes of Burstwick with Skeckling, Burton Pidsea, Easington, South Frodingham, Halsham, Hilston, Hollym, Holmpton, Keyingham, Kilnsea, Ottringham, Out Newton, Owstwick, Owthorne, Patrington, Paull, Rimswell, Roos, Ryhill and Camerton, Skeffling, Sunk Island, Thorgumbald, Tunstall, Waxholme, Welwick, Winestead and Withernsea.
The workhouse, a structure of brick, was erected in 1837, & will hold 100 inmates;
Rev. William Elliott INCHBALD, chaplain;
W.H. COATES M.A., M.B., medical officer;
William GARSIDES, master;
Mrs. Sophia GARSIDES, matron.
A new infirmary with 18 beds was opened in March, 1903 at a cost of about £2,000, including four wards, and two day rooms;
Mrs. M. SMITH, nurse.
Patrington Union comprised of 28 parishes/townships, with a population in 1901 of 8, 593.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret