Pocklington Poor Law Union was declared 29th September 1836 and comprises the parishes of Alethorpe, Barmby on the Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton with Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, High Catton, Low Catton, North Cliffe, South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale with Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby Underdale, Londesborough with Easthorpe, Market Weighton and Arras, Melbourne, Millington with Little Givendale, Newton upon Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Sancton and Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton Thorpe, Skirpenbeck, East Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton upon Derwent, Thixendale, Thorpe le Street, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham cum Meltonby and Youlthorpe with Gowthorpe.
The Workhouse was erected 1852 of brick from designs by John and William Atkinson, architects.
The Union workhouse, situated on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in 1852, at a cost of
£1,608, on a site purchased for £360,
it was enlarged in 1896 at a cost of £6,237, & will hold 113 inmates; in
1897 a hospital was added, for 30 patients; Joseph SARGEANT, master;
Rev. Arthur T. FISHER B.A. hon. chaplain;
Alexander Ferrier Angus FAIRWEATHER M.B., C.M., medical officer; Mrs. Fannie Marie SARGEANT, matron.
Pocklington Union contained 56 parishes/townships, and in 1901 the population was 13, 709.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret