Sculcoates Poor Law Union was declared 10th June 1837, and the workhouse erected 1843 to 1845 from designs by Henry F. Lockwood, architect.
The Sculcoates Union Workhouse, situated on the Beverley Road, is a large building in the Tudor style. The original structure was erected in 1844 at a
cost of £11,000, but several additions and extensions have since been made, including a laundry, kitchens, dining hall, infirmary and electric light works.
Sculcoates Union comprises 16 parishes/townships.
Master - W.H. RYLATT;
Matron - Mrs. Mary Jane RYLATT;
Medical officer - H. ROBINSON M.B., C.M., 161 Beverley Road;
Chaplain - Rev. E.C. CREE M.A..
Population in 1901 of 158, 014
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Cottage Homes were erected at Hessle in 1897 to
accommodate the Children from the Union.
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret