Skirlaugh Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The Skirlaugh Poor Law Union was declared 9th June 1837, and the brick workhouse erected 1838 to 1839 from designs by John and William Atkinson, architects.
The workhouse, erected in 1838-9, at an expense of £2,332, is a structure of brick & will hold about 50 to 60 inmates;
William CHARLES, master;
Robert Dickie BRADFORD L.R.C.P & S. Edin., medical officer;
Rev. Walter PHILLIPS M.A., chaplain;
Mrs. Jane CHARLES, matron.
Skirlaugh Union comprised 44 townships/villages with a population in 1901 of 9,359.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1909
Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret