Leyburn Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Leyburn Poor Law Union was declared 28th January 1837, and the new Union Workhouse erected 1877 from designs by J.T. Jackman, architect.
The Workhouse, which stands at a short distance from the station, & was
erected in 1877 by the Leyburn Board of Guardians at a cost of about GBP 5,000,
is a plain building of stone with a turret, & will hold 100 inmates;
Robert LUCK, master;
John Hutchinson WOOD, M.B., B.S. Durham, M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond., Leyburn, medical officer;
Mrs LUCK, matron.
Leyburn Union comprises of 37 villages/townships, with a population in 1901 of 6,748.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge from Kelly's Directory 1909
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret