Middlesborough Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Middlesborough Poor Law Union was declared in 1875, and the Workhouse erected 1877 to 1878 from designs by Perkin and Son, architects.
The Workhouse, Cemetery Road, Linthorpe, erected in 1878, at a cost of GBP
40,000, is a structure of brick, from designs by Messrs. PERKINS & Sons, of
Leeds. Several alterations and additions have recently been made at the
workhouse, & the buildings are now estimated to hold 1000 inmates;
Harold W. SINCLAIR, M.D., MRCS Eng. medical officer;
E WARD, master;
Henry STEVENS, assistant master;
Mrs L. WARD, matron;
Miss CARTER, assistant matron;
Rev. J.W. DALES, chaplain;
Rev. Richard ROCHE, spiritual instructor.
Middlesborough Union comprises 12 parishes/townships, and in 1901 had a population of 139,207.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge from Kelly's Directory 1909
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret