NORTHALLERTON Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Northallerton Poor Law Union was declared 28th January 1837, and the new Union Workhouse erected 1858 to 1859 from designs by William L. Moffatt, architect.
The workhouse, standing on the east side of the town, is a structure of red
brick, erected in 1858-9, at a cost of GBP 5,000, and capable of holding about
120 inmates; there being at present (1908) 47;
Joseph THOMPSON, master;
John Armstrong HUTCHINSON M.D., M.S., Durh., medical officer;
Mrs Rachel THOMPSON, matron.
The union comprises 43 parishes/townships, with a population in 1901 of 11,590.
Source: Submitted by Andy Kerridge from Kelly's Directory 1909
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret