PICKERING Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Pickering Poor Law Union was declared 15th December 1836.
|The workhouse at Rysea, a little north of
the town, is a plain building of stone, erected in 1837, at a cost of GBP
1,100, and will hold 100 inmates.
Robert SIMPSON, master;
Mrs Mary Ann SIMPSON, matron;
Miss Elizh. LAMB, assistant matron;
Rev. Evelyn William DRAGE M.A. chaplain;
Donald William ROBERTSON, L.R.C.P. Edin., medical officer.
The union comprises 25 parishes/townships, with a population in 1901 of 10,059.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1909
Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret