RICHMOND Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Richmond Poor Law Union was declared 31st January 1837. The former parish Workhouse erected 1794 was adapted for use and enlarged in 1841 from designs by Ignatius Bonomi, architect.
Workhouse, Victoria Road, a plain building of stone; erected to hold 120 inmates,
W.T. WESTON, master;
Clarence Barnes WHITEHEAD M.B. Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng., medical officer; Mrs. J.W. WESTON, matron.
Richmond Union comprised of 41 townships and parishes, with a population in 1901 of 11, 726.
Source: 1909 Kelly's Directory
Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Details from 1890 Bulmer's Directory are on :
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret