Stokesley Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Stokesley Poor Law Union was declared 2nd February 1837
The Union workhouse, situated a short distance from the town, is a plain building of red brick with stone dressings, erected in 1848, & will hold 120
(registered number) inmates;
John William WHITTLE, master;
William Metcalfe YEOMAN M.B., M.R.C.S. Eng, medical officer;
Mrs. Sarah WHITTLE, matron.
Stokesley Union comprised of 34 parishes/ townships with a population in 1901 of 11,247.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1909
Submitted by Andy Kerridge
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret