Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Dewsbury Union, formed in 1837, comprises the eleven townships of Batley, Dewsbury, Gomersal, Heckmondwike, Liversedge, Mirfield, Morley, Ossett, Soothill, Thornhill and Lower Whitley, which increased their population from 60,713 in 1841 to 70,768 souls in 1851.
The old workhouses at Dewsbury, Gomersal & Batley are still used by this Union, which is divided into nine registration districts.
Wm Carr, solicitor, of Gomersal, is the superintendent registrar & clerk to the Board of Guardians. Joseph Croft & Benjamin Pickersgill are the relieving ofiers; & the following are master & matrons of the Workhouses, viz: John & Mary Blackwood, Dewsbury; Beatrix Seamour, Gomersal; & Rachel Lee, Batley.
A new Workhouse for the whole Union is about to be erected at Staincliffe, near Batley, at the cost of about £5000. It will have room for 300 paupers, & after its completion the three old workhouses will be sold.
Source: WHITE'S 1853 CLOTHING DISTRICTS OF YORKSHIRE p.396
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret